Artist Statement

Friday, June 29, 2007

Lashaway Lake / Palette Knife

Lashaway Lake / Palette Knife painting 16" x 20" Oil on Canvas board Available at $55.00 plus shipping

detail of knife work on trees

I was challenged by one of the subsrcibers to try more palette knife painting, so this is one I worked on last night and this morning. A knife in the hands of a master is an awesome tool, but I don't have the command of it, and find that there are aspects of it I like and some I really don't. You really have to work with it awhile to have control, I think. The water was hard, but I enjoyed "mushing" the trees and slopping the paint around for the shore. The little boats were awkward at best.

I went to a new blog this morning, and if you want a real insight into the working thoughts of a fine painter, who is funny and forthcoming about the struggles of getting a painting to turn out well, check out Robin Weiss and his work here: http://inpleinair.blogspot.com/

His work is wonderful, and the reading is really fun.

This is the last oil painting I'll be posting for awhile, as I am accompanying the family on their vacation to help out with kids. I plan to sketch and do little watercolors on the trip, but of course, no oils or posting after Monday. Thanks as always for looking, and for your encouraging comments.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails