Saturday, July 04, 2020
Japanese Irises - Turned Into Cards
Watercolor on Watercolor Paper, 140 lb, 16" x 20"
NA, Turned Into Cards
This one is larger. And I tried a new technique.
I first drew the irises out in watercolor pencil, then washed over the drawing with the loose, runny background, just let it flow, and let that dry. Turns out that you can still see the watercolor pencil marks under the wash. Cool. Then I painted on top. The leaves are loose like I wanted, but the irises themselves got a little stiff, and I used some gouache to make the whites show up, All in all, I'm mostly pleased with it.