Artist Statement

Friday, February 29, 2008

Humility - SOLD

Humility Oil on Canvas Board, 10" x 12" SOLD My first self portrait, and it gives me great humility to post it. Looks like some old witchy woman, and the sad part is, not that it doesn't look like me, but oh goodness, that it DOES. At one point in the sketch, my brother popped out of the face, which was weird. "Oh, Hi Bruce, there you are!" My daughter says that the nose and face are too long, so next attempt, I'll give myself better light, and maybe be kinder (whatever helps, right?) Nothing much to do about the dumbo ears and the saggy bags, though. Sigh. Thanks for looking.

3 comments:

blh said...

When I first saw this painting, I thought to myself: "What an interesting face!" I had no idea that it was the artist's self-portrait. What attracted me were the woman's eyes that seemed to have seen so much because she had gone through so much.

Now that I know that the painting is a self-portrait, I can empathize, as well as sympathize, with her. None of us who are older are anything like what we were in our younger days. However, in exchange for beauty, we gain such things as wisdom, abilities, the knowledge that we can handle life, etc. I think that the artist has a wonderful face and that she should be proud of it!

Helen Read said...

Yay for doing a self portrait! I have never ventured into that arena. You give me courage! By the way, I think you've done a lovely job.

Barb J. said...

Hi Aunt Nelda,

I enjoy looking at your paintings now and then and I was surprised to see something other than a landscape or nature scene pop up! I think you've done a great job on your self-portrait, although I think you are certainly your own worst critic. I didn't actually see my dad in the painting, but when I showed Wes, he said Bruce was all he could see...take care, Cara

Related Posts with Thumbnails